Old episodes of Felicity are playing as I write this post. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, then disregard, but if you love Felicity, I have to know — are you Team Ben or Team Noel?!
I will forever love Ben and believe these blueberry turkey sausage breakfast patties are just as dreamy as he is.
I really wanted to make you a meal prep breakfast recipe that wasn’t made with eggs or oatmeal. Since I’m a huge fan of restaurant-style breakfast sausage, I decided to make you a delicious healthy version of sausage patties with juicy blueberries and a hint of sweet maple syrup.
What makes these turkey sausage patties healthier?
Compared to their pork sausage counterpart, these homemade turkey sausage patties are much leaner and have less fat than the traditional pork version. However, they definitely don’t skimp on juiciness! They have incredible flavor, are freezer-friendly and cook up in less than 10 minutes.
Ingredients in this blueberry breakfast sausage
These deliciously juicy turkey sausage patties are filled with flavorful herbs and spices, plus a wonderful hint of sweetness. Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Ground turkey: because these are turkey sausage breakfast patties, you’ll need some 93% lean ground turkey.
- Maple syrup: these sausage patties get a hint of sweetness from pure maple syrup.
- Herbs & spices: add amazing flavor with fresh garlic and sage, dried thyme, ground cumin, ground ginger, allspice, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper.
- Blueberries: you’re going to LOVE the bursts of blueberries in every bite. Feel free to use fresh or frozen!
- Oil: you’ll need a little olive oil or coconut oil to cook the sausage patties.
The key to keeping turkey sausage moist
You may be wondering how to keep these turkey sausage patties from drying out upon cooking, and I’ve got the answer! It’s critical to use a 93% lean ground turkey. If you use too lean of turkey meat, the patties will end up tasting dry. A little fat adds flavor and moisture, so be sure that you do not use extra lean ground turkey or ground chicken.
How to make blueberry turkey sausage
- Mix the patties. Start by adding all of the ingredients besides the blueberries to a large bowl and mix everything well with clean hands. Then, carefully incorporate the blueberries into the turkey sausage mixture.
- Shape the patties. Form 8 even-sized patties about 1/3 inch thick. Make sure the blueberries are nice and tucked into them so that they don’t pop out while cooking.
- Cook & flip. Cook the turkey sausage patties in a skillet with a little oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Then flip and cook 4-5 minutes more until they’re fully cooked.
- Serve & devour. Serve your blueberry breakfast patties warm with all of your go-to breakfast sides! See below for plenty of inspo.
What to serve with turkey sausage patties
Personally, I love to serve these breakfast patties with a drizzle of maple syrup, fried eggs and my delicious crispy roasted breakfast potatoes. YUM. More amazing breakfast companions for you:
Get even more breakfast recipes here!
Store any leftover breakfast sausage patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Simply reheat them in the microwave or on a skillet when ready to serve.
Make them ahead and freeze for later
- Freeze before cooking: shape your turkey sausage patties and place them in an airtight, freezer-friendly bag or container. If you’re stacking the patties I’d recommend putting wax or parchment paper in between the layers so that they don’t stick together. Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, you can either let them thaw in the fridge before cooking or cook them directly from frozen – you may just need to cook them a bit longer from frozen.
- Freeze after cooking: let your breakfast patties cool completely before placing them in airtight, freezer-friendly containers or bags. As I mentioned above, put wax or parchment paper in between the layers of patties if you’re stacking them. Freeze them for up to 3 months. To reheat, let them thaw in the fridge before reheating in the microwave or on the stovetop for a couple of minutes on each side. You can also reheat these directly from frozen – I recommend doing so on the stovetop.
More low carb breakfast recipes
Get all of my low carb breakfast recipes here!
I hope you love these blueberry turkey sausage breakfast patties! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Maple Blueberry Turkey Sausage Breakfast Patties
Sweet & savory paleo maple blueberry turkey sausage breakfast patties with delicious spices and juicy blueberries in every bite. Serve these incredible turkey sausage patties with fried eggs for the ultimate high-protein low carb breakfast!
93% lean ground turkey (do not use extra lean)
garlic cloves, finely minced
pure maple syrup
fresh chopped sage (about 4 medium sage leaves)
- Freshly ground black pepper
fresh or frozen blueberries
coconut oil or olive oil (for cooking)
Place all ingredients besides the blueberries and oil in a large bowl and use your hands to mix until well combined. Add in blueberries and gently incorporate them into the meat. Form into 8 even sized patties, about 1/3 inch thick. Make sure the blueberries are tucked into the meat or they may pop out upon cooking.
Add 1 teaspoon coconut oil to a nonstick skillet and place over medium heat. Add turkey patties and cook for about 5 minutes then flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until fully cooked.
To prepare a plate, pair two breakfast patties with 2 fried eggs. Drizzle sausage patties with just a tiny bit of maple syrup and enjoy! Serves 4, 2 patties each.
Leftover turkey patties can be frozen, just place in a freezer safe container and reheat when needed.
Servings: 8 patties
Serving size: 2 patties
Saturated fat: 2.7g
This post was originally published on January 7th, 2019, and republished on February 15th, 2022.