Get your favorite Mexican-inspired flavored with this healthy and easy Quinoa Taco Salad. This meal with inspire you to incorporate more plant-based meals into your life that are full of flavor and good-for-you ingredients.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve been a cookbook collector. Granted, I’m pretty sure all the cookbooks I “owned” belonged to my mom until I moved away for college, but if we count those, my collection has always been pretty epic.
Every time a cookbook appears in my mailbox, I’m like a giddy schoolgirl who just stocked up on a new round of highlighters. I was so excited to get Jessica Murnane’s cookbook, One Part Plant. Her mission is simple: Encourage people to start eating one plant-based meal a day. And her cookbook is finally here to help make this mission even easier for me and you.
Jess was kind enough to let me share a recipe so you can get a sense of what I mean by approachable, plant-based cooking. This Quinoa Taco Salad came together so quickly and it’s one of those salads that just gets better each day as it sits and melds together. And once the quinoa was cooked, it literally took 10 mins to make.
Here’s What You Need
- quinoa – cook the quinoa according to package directions and let cool to room temperature. This is a great recipe to use with leftover quinoa as well!
- red onion – add a little zest with minced red onion.
- cherry tomatoes – I love the fresh burst of flavor cherry tomatoes add. Any type of tomato will work here!
- chopped cilantro – never doubt the power of fresh herbs!
- black beans – you can cook your own or use canned black beans for a shortcut. If you’re using canned, make sure you drain and rinse well.
- seasonings and spices – chili powder, cumin and sea salt.
- avocado – add healthy fats with diced avocado.
- lime juice – I recommend using freshly squeezed lime juice as opposed to store-bought.
- tortilla chips – optional but I love adding tortilla chips for crunch!
How to Make Quinoa Taco Salad
STEP 1: In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, chili powder and lime juice and set aside.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, onion, tomatoes, cilantro and black beans. Gently stir in the spiced lime juice, tossing to coat. Add salt to taste.
STEP 3: Before serving, top with diced avocado, hot sauce and tortilla chips if using.
How to Store Leftovers
This salad stores super well! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. I recommend squeezing a little fresh lime juice before serving to revive the flavors.
Quinoa Taco Salad
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa, room temp
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if canned
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- Optional toppings: tortilla chips
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, chili powder, and lime juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and black beans.
- Gently stir in the spiced lime juice and toss to coat.
- Add a pinch of salt and more lime juice if desired.
- Before serving top the salad with avocado and hot sauce and then a handful of tortilla chips in the bowl or crushed on top.
- Keep for up to 5 days in the fridge and add an extra squeeze of lime juice before serving.
More vegan salad recipes to try:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!