OMG THIS YELLOW CHICKEN CURRY! ❤️ Seriously, it’s one of my all-time fav easy weeknight meals, so get those grocery lists ready because this is a recipe you NEED to make.
Abra and I first tested the recipe a few years back in anticipation of my maternity leave, and we couldn’t stop raving over just how delicious it was. We seriously still talk about it years later. It’s one of those recipes to come back to again and again because it’s just THAT good. And let’s be honest, there’s just nothing better than a bowl of flavorful, creamy curry packed with veggies during the cold winter months.
So my curry lovers, this slow cooker yellow chicken curry is for you. It’s both dairy free & gluten free, and if you haven’t had curry before, then it’s time to give it a chance. Promise you’ll fall in love!
Ingredients in slow cooker yellow chicken curry
What I love about this chicken curry is that it’s made in the slow cooker. Just throw everything in and simmer to perfection all day long! Another thing to love? The rainbow of veggies slow cooked with warming spices; it’s savory, full of umami flavor, hearty and incredibly nourishing. To make this yellow chicken curry you’ll need these ingredients:
- Coconut milk: we’re using a can of lite coconut milk to create a creamy, flavorful curry sauce.
- Broth: feel free to use chicken broth or water for that curry “sauce” that the chicken will cook in.
- Peanut butter: a couple tablespoons of natural creamy peanut butter brings this dish an incredible flavor – don’t skip it, but feel free to use cashew butter if you’d like. I love Wild Friends peanut butter, and you can use the code ‘AMBITIOUS15’ for 15% off!
- Soy sauce: a little soy sauce gives the curry that savory, salty punch.
- Garlic & ginger: I highly recommend using fresh garlic and ginger — they’re both so nourishing.
- Spices: we’re adding yellow curry powder, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground black pepper to bring out all of those curry flavors.
- Chicken: I like to use boneless skinless chicken breast but you can also use chicken thighs.
- Veggies: we’re adding a rainbow of gorgeous veggies like carrots, onion, red bell pepper, sweet potatoes & peas.
- To garnish: top your bowl off with a little fresh cilantro. You could also add a squeeze of lime juice for extra brightness.
Is yellow curry spicy?
This Thai yellow chicken curry is not naturally spicy, so this healthy dinner is pretty mild in spice if you’re buying regular curry powder or mild yellow curry powder (which tastes more sweet than spicy).
If you love a kick of heat (like me) be sure to include the cayenne pepper with your spices! With or without the added spiciness this curry has bold, warming flavors that you’ll love.
Looking for a vegetarian option?
Try out one of these delicious plant-based curry recipes:
How to make yellow chicken curry in the slow cooker
Making this healthy yellow chicken curry in the slow cooker is easy!
- Whisk your “sauce” ingredients. Start by adding your coconut milk, broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and ginger to your slow cooker. Whisk these together and then add all of the spices.
- Add chicken & veggies. You’ll then add your chicken breast directly to the slow cooker along with your sweet potato, carrots and onion. Save the bell pepper and peas for later so they don’t get mushy! Stir and make sure these are all covered by the sauce.
- Cook & shred. Cook the curry on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Once it’s done, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, shred it with two forks, and return it to the slow cooker.
- Finish with veggies & serve. Lastly, stir in the red bell pepper and peas, and cook this on high for another 10-20 minutes until the bell pepper is tender. Garnish with cilantro, serve with rice or naan and enjoy!
Try it on the stovetop
Yes, you can easily make this healthy yellow chicken curry on the stovetop if you’d like! Here’s how to do it:
- Cook the chicken. First, add a little olive or coconut oil to a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Transfer cooked chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to shred it. Alternatively, you can cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Sauté the veggies. Add in a little more olive or coconut oil to your pot and add in the following veggies & herbs: garlic, ginger, sweet potatoes, carrot and onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the “sauce” ingredients. Next, add in spices for 30 seconds before adding in the rest of the “sauce” ingredients. You may need to add 1/2 cup-1 cup more broth if necessary. Allow to cook 5-10 minutes more, then stir in the cooked chicken, red bell pepper and peas; simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or naan.
What to serve with slow cooker yellow chicken curry
This recipe is incredible served with:
- Brown rice, jasmine rice, or basmati rice
- My famous creamy Coconut Rice
- Fluffy quinoa
- Cauliflower rice (if you’re looking for a low carb option)
- A side of toasted pita or naan bread to soak up that extra yellow curry sauce
How to store & freeze yellow chicken curry
Store this yellow chicken curry in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- To freeze: Be sure to not overcook the vegetables. Let the curry cool completely before transferring to a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 2 months. I would not recommend freezing the yellow chicken curry with rice.
- To reheat: thaw the chicken curry in the refrigerator. While the curry is thawing, feel free to make rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa to serve with it. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave for 2 minutes until heated through.
More slow cooker recipes you’ll love
Get all of my slow cooker recipes here!
If you make this easy yellow chicken curry recipe, please take a moment to leave a comment and rate the recipe below so others know how you liked it! We appreciate you. xo.
Slow Cooker Yellow Chicken Curry
Total Time 3 hours 15 minutes
Delicious healthy slow cooker yellow chicken curry made with warming spices, coconut milk and a hint of peanut butter for savory flavor. This healthy, easy yellow chicken curry recipe packs plenty of veggies and makes the perfect weeknight dinner for the whole family! Option to serve it with rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice.
(15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
chicken broth (or water)
natural creamy peanut butter (or cashew butter)
gluten free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
of freshly grated ginger
yellow curry powder (or regular curry powder)
- Freshly ground black pepper
boneless skinless chicken breast
medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups cubed sweet potato)
medium carrots, sliced
yellow onion, diced
red bell pepper, julienned
- To garnish:
- Fresh diced cilantro
In a large slow cooker add coconut milk, broth (or water) peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and freshly grated ginger. Whisk to combine, then stir in spices: curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, pepper and salt.
Add chicken breast to slow cooker followed by sweet potato, carrots and onions. Gently stir so that the sauces covers all of the chicken and vegetables.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker.
Before you’re ready to serve, stir in julienned red bell peppers and peas, cover and cook on high for another 10-20 minutes until bell peppers have tenderized a bit. Serve as is with a side of naan bread or with brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice. Serves 4.
Feel free to use cashew butter in place of peanut butter in this recipe.
Find instructions for making this curry on the stovetop in the blog post.
See the full post for storing & freezing instructions!
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 4)
Saturated fat: 6.1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on February 20th, 2020, and republished on February 15th, 2023.