Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings are the perfect game day appetizer. Rubbed down with a spice blend, then baked until they are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and tossed in the ultimate sweet & tangy sauce!
Some of our favorite things to serve alongside these wings are my Creamy Guacamole, Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip or Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites.
The Best Oven-Baked Chicken Wings
Oh friends, do I have a recipe for you today! You’ve seen my baked chicken wings before. And I’ve got the method down for the best way to cook healthy chicken wings. But the flavor of these Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings is just out of control! They are by far some of my favorite chicken wings – ever!
When we eliminate the hassle and mess of how to deep fry chicken wings at home, it opens a door to sauce creativity! Sure, I’ve got awesome Buffalo Chicken Wings, but sometimes I want to mix it up.
With this batch of baked chicken wings, I made one of my most favorite dipping sauces – honey mustard. There is something about the sweet and sticky honey that pairs perfectly with tangy and earthy mustard. Plus, it’s not spicy, so everyone can eat them and enjoy them.
Grab this recipe the next time you are looking for a fun party snack. You’re friends and family is going to go crazy over these Honey Mustard Wings!
What You’ll Need
The list is pretty simple for these Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings. Also, check out the recipe card below for the exact measurements of everything.
- Chicken Wings: Drumettes and wings.
- Paprika: Smoked paprika would also be delicious.
- Garlic Powder: Or granulated garlic.
- Chipotle Chili Powder: I love the smokiness the chipotle chilis bring to the seasoning!
- Cinnamon: Yes, you read that correctly! This spice adds a hint of sweetness that pairs perfectly with the spicy seasonings.
- Canola Oil
- Optional Garnishes: Green onions or sesame seeds.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- Honey: Maple syrup would also be delicious with this recipe.
- Dijon Mustard: I like to use stone ground mustard for the texture.
- Ground Mustard
- Butter: It makes the sauce a little creamy and helps it smooth out the tangy flavor.
How to Make Tangy Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings
Here is how to make the best baked chicken wings! It’s so simple and way cleaner and healthier than deep frying.
First, you’ll want to preheat the oven and prep the chicken wings. A hot oven is key here! That’s how the chicken gets nice and crispy. Plus, patting the chicken dry also aids in getting the chicken wings perfectly golden brown.
Then make the seasoning for the chicken wings. Simply combine the dry seasoning ingredients in a bowl. And then sprinkle them over the chicken wings and toss them to coat.
Bake the chicken wings. Lay the wings flat on a wire rack and then bake them for about 20 minutes.
Don’t forget to flip the wings halfway through. Flip the wings over and then bake them for another 20 minutes.
While the wings are baking, make the sauce. To make the honey mustard sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Then stir until the butter melts and the sauce becomes warm.
Next, toss the chicken wings with the honey mustard sauce. Use a large bowl to coat the wings with the sauce. Serve them immediately with green onions and sesame seeds if you’d like!
Tips for the Best Baked Wings
Follow these helpful tips whenever you’re making baked chicken wings.
- Always pat dry the wings. The drier the chicken, the crispier they are going to be.
- Don’t overcrowd your sheet tray. Air needs to be able to move around the chicken wings so you shouldn’t overlap them on the sheet tray.
- Preheat the oven. You want to put the chicken wings into a hot oven to ensure the skin gets nice and crispy.
What to Serve With Honey Mustard Wings
Here are some of my favorite dishes and drinks to serve with these chicken wings.
- Go all out and add these wings to my over-the-top Game Day Charcuterie Board. Do you need more game-day ideas? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered by clicking here for all of my favorite party recipes.
- I like to balance out flavor-heavy dishes like these wings with fresh and crisp salads like my incredibly easy Wedge Salad.
- Don’t forget to pair it up with a good cocktail! Light beer is always good with these wings but I also love to serve them with something tangy and simple like this Salty Dog Cocktail.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
These Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings are best eaten fresh and right out of the oven. However, you can keep any leftover wings in the fridge in an airtight container for about 4 days.
I suggest reheating in the oven or the air fryer. Keep in mind though they will be their crispiest after they are baked the first time.
Can I Freeze Oven Baked Wings?
I don’t recommend freezing these wings if you want them to be extra crispy. But if you don’t mind that the crispiness might go away the second time you bake them, then you can certainly freeze them. I suggest thawing them overnight in the fridge before putting them back into the oven for about 10-15 minutes to reheat.
Tangy Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings
Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Wings are the perfect appetizer recipe. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and perfectly saucey!
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs. of chicken wings (drumettes and wings)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- optional garnish: green onions, sesame seeds
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of dijon mustard (I use stone ground mustard because I like the texture of it)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pat chicken wings dry and place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix paprika, garlic powder, chipotle chili powder, and ground cinnamon.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over chicken wings and then add canola oil, toss to coat all the wings.
- Add a wire rack to a baking sheet and evenly spread chicken wings out on wire rack.
- Bake wings for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, flip the chicken wings and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a small pot to medium high heat. Add in mustard, honey, ground mustard, and butter. Stir until butter is melted and sauce is warm.
- Add cooked chicken wings to a large bowl with the honey mustard sauce, toss the chicken wings around with the sauce until all the wings are covered.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: 3 wings
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 586 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Cholesterol: 140 mg
Keywords: honey mustard wings, baked chicken wings, oven baked wings, honey mustard chicken wings
More Easy Wing Recipes
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->