We shared this easy, delicious appetizer on Instagram as part of the #AKSnackSeries a couple of weeks ago and it was just too good not to put on the blog.
Meet my smoked salmon crostini made with 5 core ingredients and a sprinkle of fresh chives + Everything But the Bagel seasoning. They make the perfect savory appetizer or snack that comes together in just 20 minutes. If you love a good bagel and lox these cute crostini will be your new fav.
Bonus points if you’re looking to make a fuller meal, simply add the ingredients to a thick piece of sourdough toast! Otherwise, throw these together for your next brunch or gathering with friends and family and watch them disappear.
Ingredients for this smoked salmon crostini
The best part about this smoked salmon crostini? It’s quick to make with super simple ingredients so you can focus on hanging out with your people instead of assembling a tricky appetizer. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- French baguette: the base of the crostini, of course! You’ll slice up your baguette into 1/2 inch slices to create the base for your toppings.
- Olive oil: don’t forget to brush your baguette slices with a little olive oil so they bake up nice and golden.
- Cream cheese: I love using whipped chive cream cheese for this recipe because it’s the perfect light texture and flavor. See below for more options!
- Salmon: I typically use Nova lox salmon, but you can use your favorite brand of smoked salmon.
- Red onion: for a little crunch and zippy flavor.
- To garnish: top your crostini off with Everything But the Bagel seasoning and some chopped chives or scallions for the ultimate bite.
Customize your crostini
This smoked salmon crostini is easy to customize to your taste preferences and to use what you have on hand:
- Choose your cream cheese. If you can’t find chive cream cheese, simply mix a few tablespoons of chopped chives into softened cream cheese. You could also make this with veggie cream cheese, or for a spicy kick, try a jalapeño cream cheese!
- Go dairy free. Feel free to use your favorite dairy free cream cheese like Mykonos.
- Make it gluten free. Easy swap a regular baguette for a gluten free loaf or even gluten free crackers.
Smoked salmon crostini in 3 simple steps
- Bake your bread. Start by brushing the baguette sliced with a little olive oil, then bake at 350 degrees F until they’re lightly golden on the edges.
- Assemble the crostini. Make sure the baguette slices are cooled, then top in order with cream cheese, smoked salmon, onion slices, a little Everything But the Bagel seasoning, and a sprinkle of chives.
- Plate & serve. Add the crostini to a cute plate or platter and serve!
Turn your crostini into a meal
Looking for a heartier snack or even a delicious breakfast or lunch? Feel free to add the toppings to a thick slice of toast or a toasted bagel just like you would with a regular bagel and lox!
These smoked salmon crostini are best when enjoyed day of, so if you’re only feeding a handful of people I’d recommend only assembling ones that will be eaten.
More appetizers you’ll love
Get all of my appetizer recipes here!
I hope you love these easy smoked salmon crostini! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Delicious smoked salmon crostini made with simple ingredients for the perfect easy appetizer or snack. Take your favorite bagel and lox and turn it into a fun, flavorful appetizer to share with friends and family! Great for brunch and ready in just 20 minutes.
French baguette, cut into 1/2 inch slices
extra virgin olive oil
whipped chive cream cheese
Nova lox salmon
red onion, very thinly sliced
Everything But the Bagel seasoning
finely chopped chives or scallions
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Arrange baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on the edges, then let cool slightly.
Spread about a tablespoon of cream cheese on each crostini, then top with smoked salmon, a couple of onion slices, a shake of Everything But the Bagel seasoning, and a pinch of chives or scallions.
Serve immediately on your favorite plate, cutting board, or platter and enjoy! Makes 15.
If you can’t find chive cream cheese, feel free to chop a few tablespoons of chives and mix into softened cream cheese. You can also sub chopped scallions instead!
Servings: 15 servings
Serving size: 1 crostini
Saturated fat: 3.4g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by Eat Love Eats