I constantly have a supply of proteins bars (omg GoMacro is my long time fav) but sometimes it’s fun to make your own! Not only are homemade protein bars easy to make, but they’re also an amazing, inexpensive alternative to buying protein bars.
These simple yet oh-so-delicious cashew butter chocolate protein bars are made with plenty of pantry staples and your go-to protein powder. The result seriously tastes like dessert, so you’re gonna want to keep some in the fridge for when that sweet tooth hits!
Post-workout, post-dinner or even lunch dessert — make a batch of these babies and get ready to devour.
I hope you love keeping these bars in the fridge and enjoying them as a snack or treat!
Everything you’ll need to make these chocolate protein bars
These easy no bake cashew butter chocolate protein bars are made with plenty of pantry staples and a boost of protein from your fav protein powder. Here’s everything you’ll need to make them:
- Cashew butter: I love using cashew butter because it’s mild and really allows the chocolate flavor to come out.
- Coconut oil: a little coconut oil helps to keep the bars together and adds additional flavor. There is no substitute (except butter) so please don’t ask me for one!
- Honey: I like to use honey to sweeten the bars a bit. You’ll also need a little vanilla extract.
- Rolled oats: some rolled oats add a complex carb to the protein bar. You can use gluten free oats if desired, but do not use steel cut oats as the texture will be gritty.
- Chia seeds: get a boost of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants from chia seeds.
- Protein powder: I want to recommend my favorite chocolate protein powders for you. I use Aloha Plant Based protein powder in most of my baking recipes. Another great one is Tera’s Whey Chocolate. Please let me know if you use any other chocolate protein powders that you recommend in the comments section!
- Dark chocolate: the dark chocolate adds a double chocolate dose of love to the bars so don’t skip it! Feel free to use 1 ounce of an 85% dark chocolate bar or a few tablespoons of chocolate chips (dairy free if desired).
- Sea salt: a little sprinkle of sea salt on top takes these bars to the next level.
Easy ingredient swaps
Because these healthy chocolate protein bars are made with simple ingredients, they’re easy to customize with what you have on hand! Here’s what I can recommend:
- To make vegan: feel free to use brown rice syrup or coconut palm syrup in place of the honey. Then be sure to use a plant-based protein powder as well as dairy free chocolate on top.
- For the cashew butter: I love the mild taste of cashew butter in these bars, but you can also use peanut butter, almond butter, or even sunflower seed butter for a nut free alternative! Just be sure the nut or seed butter is all natural and is just made with nuts or seeds and salt.
DIY chocolate protein powder
If you don’t have chocolate protein powder on hand, you can mix 1/2 cup of your favorite vanilla protein powder with 2 tablespoons of cacao or cocoa powder. So easy!
Cashew butter chocolate protein bars in 4 easy steps
- Mix the wet ingredients. Start by heating the cashew butter, coconut oil, honey and vanilla in a saucepan over very low heat.
- Stir in the dry. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the protein powder until smooth. Then fold in the oats and chia seeds. Pour this mixture into an 8×4 inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper
- Top with chocolate. Add chocolate and coconut oil to a small saucepan over low heat until melted, then drizzle it over the top of the bars. Tilt the pan so that the chocolate covers the bars completely, then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Refrigerate & enjoy! Place the pan in the fridge for at least an hour, then remove from the pan and cut into 10 bars and enjoy.
See all of our go-to kitchen essentials here!
Store these chocolate cashew butter protein bars in the fridge tightly wrapped or in an airtight bag or container for up to 2 weeks. The perfect easy snack to have on hand!
More no bake snacks to try
Get all of my amazing snack recipes here!
I hope you love these cashew butter chocolate protein bars! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Sea Salt Cashew Butter Chocolate Protein Bars
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Incredible no bake cashew butter chocolate protein bars with a sprinkle of sea salt. These decadent bars pack over 7g of protein and make the best post-workout snack or satisfying treat! Gluten free and vegan-friendly.
cashew butter (just cashews + salt)*
honey (use coconut palm syrup if vegan)
your favorite chocolate protein powder* (OR ½ cup vanilla protein powder + 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder)
rolled oats, gluten free, if desired
- For the topping:
chocolate chips or 1 ounces 85% dark chocolate, dairy free if desired
- Fancy sea salt, for sprinkling on top
Heat cashew butter, coconut oil, honey and vanilla in a saucepan over a very low heat.
Remove from heat and stir in protein powder until smooth, then fold in oats and chia seeds. Place in a 8×4 inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
Add chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan and place over low heat until melted. Drizzle over the tops of the bars and tilt pan to cover completely (or a nice thick drizzle will do). Sprinkle with sea salt.
Place in fridge for 1 hour before removing from pan and cutting into 10 squares. Store bars in fridge tightly wrapped or in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
*Feel free to use your favorite chocolate protein powder. I like to use Aloha’s Chocolate protein powder, which is plant-based.
*To keep these bars vegan: Use a vegan protein powder and coconut palm syrup or brown rice syrup instead of honey.
*Feel free to sub peanut butter or almond butter for the cashew butter. If you are looking for a nut-free protein bar, try using sunflower butter & using a protein powder that is nut free.
Servings: 10 bars
Serving size: 1 bar
This post was originally published on January 9th, 2018, and republished on March 15th, 2022.