These Raw Nutella Bars are a quick, easy-to-make snacks made with just 6 healthy ingredients – no actual nutella necessary! With a hazelnut and date-base and a simple chocolate coating, these bars will totally hit the spot.
You are in for a treat with these raw nutella bars. For some reason, I can vividly remember the first time I tried nutella. I was instantly hooked and obsessed with pairing it with a variety of foods. Does anyone else feel like it was portrayed as a healthy-ish nut spread? Just me?
I’m excited to share an actually healthy “nutella” treat. There is no actual nutella in these bars but they taste really similar to the real deal!
Here’s What You Need
- raw hazelnuts – I recommend buying raw hazelnuts and toasting on your own for the best flavor.
- rolled oats – make sure you grab gluten-free oats if needed.
- medjool dates – look for plump, sticky dates if possible. If your dates are too dry, you can rehydrate them in a bowl of warm water before mixing in or add water to the mixture – there’s a note in the instructions below!
- cacao powder – cocoa powder works too.
- vanilla extract – a flavor enhancer.
- sea salt – to bring all of the flavors together and balance the sweet.
- dark chocolate – for the chocolate topping!
- coconut oil – to melt with the chocolate for the topping. The coconut oil helps create a magic shell type topping.
How to Make Raw Nutella Bars
STEP 1: Start by toasting your hazelnuts. I recommend toasting your own over buying roasted nuts for better flavor. Spread out the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes at 400ºF for until slightly toasted.
STEP 2: Pulse the hazelnuts and oats in a food processor until they are in small pieces. Add in the dates, cacao powder, vanilla and salt and pulse until combined. If the mixture seems too dry, you can add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
STEP 3: Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and press the nut-oat mixture into the prepared pan. Make sure you fill all four corners well and use your fingers to make the surface smooth.
STEP 4: Make the chocolate topping by melting the chocolate and coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat. Pour the chocolate mixture over the base and top with chopped hazelnuts and flaked sea salt.
STEP 5: Place the pan in the freezer to allow the bars to set and the chocolate to harden – this can take 30 minutes to 1 hour. When the chocolate is set, remove the bars from the pan by lifting out the parchment paper and cut into bars.
How to Store Leftovers
Store any leftover bars in the refrigerator or freezer. These will keep up to 1 week in the fridge and for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Raw Nutella Bars
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12–16 bars 1x
For the bars:
For the chocolate coating:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread out hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 8 mins (or until slightly toasted)
- Pulse the hazelnuts and oats in a food processor until they are in small pieces, about 2 minutes.
- Add the dates, cacao powder, vanilla and salt and pulse until combined, adding 3-4 TBSP water as needed, about 10 min.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, making sure to leave an overhang on all sides to make removal easier.
- Press the nut-oat mixture into the prepared pan, making sure to fill all four corners. Use your fingers to make the surface smooth.
- Next, in a small saucepan, melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the base and top with the chopped hazelnuts and flaked sea salt.
- Allow the pan to set in the freezer until the chocolate has hardened, about 30 min-1 hour.
- Once the chocolate is set, remove the parchment and cut the squares into bars. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Like this recipe? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
The Best of The Healthy Maven Recipes!
Subscribe to get the top 10 Healthy Maven recipes right to your inbox! Healthy meals, snacks and apps made from REAL FOOD that will make you feel great in your body!